Monday, February 4, 2013

I Came Out. You Can To.

Hello.  My name is Tracey and I am Bipolar. 

I know that sounds like the introduction to a 12 step program and I guess, in a way, it is. The first step: Coming Out! Announcing who I am. Stigma breeds in the darkness of the unknown. The only way to attack it head on is to step out into the light.

I came out of the comfort of darkness, and announced to the world I was Bipolar, a little over 2 years ago.  Seems like it couldn't possibly be that long ago, but now, two years later, I have decided to share even more of my illness with the world in hopes of further breaking down the stigmatic walls of mental illness.

Since my coming out, I have found strength in sharing my struggles, victories and discoveries with others. Knowing that you aren't alone, and connecting with others who get you and accept you for who you are, is a very powerful thing. This blog was created in the hopes of spreading that same strength, camaraderie, and acceptance to others. Whether you are Bipolar or know someone who is, I encourage you to check back often as I attempt to keep track of the ups and downs of my illness, those of my daughter, and some of a few shared by my family and friends. I also hope to someday, include your stories so that we might become an even bigger, louder voice of support and unity.

There are others out there.

Welcome to my blog.

You are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment